If your WordPress website is the heart and soul of your business, you cannot afford to take website security lightly. Keeping your website safe and secured requires adequate planning and know-how. And if you are one of those how have tasted the bitterness of being hacked, then the title of this post must have gotten your attention.
We need to understand that certain aspects make WordPress website security a little different from any other website. With the complete WordPress infrastructure being Open Source, many plugins are coming up from millions of developers. If even one of these plugins don’t go well with your website or is exploited by hackers to find vulnerabilities and entry points to your site, you are in a world of pain. To avoid such situations, we will be talking about certain simple steps to ramp up your WordPress website’s security.
- Login Attempts should be limited: As simple as this is, it is a great way to avoid is to frequently attempt to break into the system with various combinations of algorithms. But if you restrict login attempts beyond a threshold, the Brute force attack fails. Be careful, though; you don’t want to make it too strict that legitimate users get locked out because of a genuine error and at the same time not be as lenient as to let hackers take comfortable turns to try and breach in.
- Disabling PHP Execution on WP-Uploads Directory: When you use 3rd party plugins and themes, they, more often than not, use the WP-Uploads directory to input images and rich media to your website. That way, the plugins, and themes can utilize these files on your WordPress website. However, hackers use the WP-Uploads directory to get easy access to your site and run their malicious code. To avoid this predicament, it is always a good idea to disable PHP files on the WP-Uploads directory and other such directories. Better safe than sorry!
READ MORE :
- How to Train a Kitten to Behave?
- WordPress Website – Using the WordPress Dashboard
- Mossack, Fonseca, and Co: How did the Hackers Leak information?
- Thinking of Starting an Online Business? Use WordPress
- Five of the Best Ways to Promote Your New WordPress Blog
- Keep your WordPress Installation Up to Date: This is one of the most basic WordPress maintenance tasks. Although this can be easily neglected or looked over, you must understand, it is essential. WordPress is being improved constantly by thousands of developers. And at times, the WordPress update brings forth bug fixes and security patches that ensure your website is safe against the latest security hacks. Simply put, it is easier for hackers to break into WordPress sites that are running on outdated drivers and patches. I understand it can get tedious, and you may miss an update or two, which is why a better solution for this is to sign up for a . One essential advantage of WordPress Hosting is that they must keep without you having to look into the matter by default.
- Taking Backups Regularly: What do you do when the worst happens? In any disaster recovery plan, the first thing you need to do is roll back to a stable restore point. These restore points are made by regularly taking backups of your entire website. The ideal case would be to take backups as frequently as every day, but this requires workforce and storage resources. This is yet another situation where WordPress Hosting becomes useful. Many good WordPress Hosting providers provide weekly website backups as a part of their WordPress Hosting plans. But that does not mean you should not take your own backups. It is always a good thing to have a failsafe in place.
Security should definitely be one of the top priority items on your WordPress website maintenance list. Having a reliable partner with top of the line WordPress security options can make a huge difference. For this, a good starting point is taking up a WordPress Hosting service. They handle a huge chunk of responsibility in terms of security, and you can focus on your website and business. I really hope this post helps, and do share your thoughts and questions in the comments section below!