Do you know even if there are no visible signs of mold, your home may still have that toxic mold? Almost every building is susceptible to mold which is not only harmful to the home’s structure but also effects humans living in it. Typically, mold breed where it finds moisture such as in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, and attics. Sometimes, it also grows undetected inside the walls which can cause structural damage. Besides this, it can make you sick, cause skin infections, allergies, throat irritation, respiratory problems, as well as eye infections.
Molds are a type of fungus and there are thousands of types of mold. However, the mold most commonly found indoor includes Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria, as well as Stachybotrys chartarum (black mold). If you live in a moist and humid climate, your home is more at the risk of mold growth. Also, a building that does not have proper ventilation is likely to develop mold issues.
It is easy to spot mold growth in your home by identifying ugly dark spots or furry patches, as well as smelling a distinctive musty odor. The black, white, orange, gray-green, olive-green, brown, or yellow ugly spots and patches on walls clearly mean your home is a breeding ground for mold. But if there are no loud and obvious signs, you should look for the following warning signs of mold growth.
A Strange Musty Odor
One of the easiest ways to identify mold is by using your nose. If your home consistently smells strangely unpleasant, it’s a clear indication of mold growth. Even if you can’t see it, mold has a musty odor which tells you about its presence. If you’re unsure about the smell, hire a professional mold removal specialist to thoroughly inspect your entire home and run tests to determine if you have a mold problem in your home.
Mold is not always visible as sometimes it can live within the walls or behind wallpaper. If you are sniffling, sneezing or experiencing watering eyes while at home, probably culprit is mold. Your stuffy nose or watery eyes can all be signs of the presence of mold. Sometimes, people feel better in the office or outside the home but experience allergic reactions the moment they enter the home. If this is also happening to you, mold allergens are to be blamed. Some allergic reactions such as a runny nose, inflamed eyes, nasal congestion, and sneezing are often linked to mold that might be growing behind walls, in the basement, under the carpet, or around the leaky roof.
Homes that have suffered water damage and have moisture issues most certainly have mold problem also. If your ceiling, pipes or roof has a leaking problem, you might also see signs such as discolored walls, cracked floor, and bubbling or peeling wallpaper or paint. These all are a clear indication of water damage which results in mold issues. Moreover, if you find condensation near metal pipes or on windows, it’s best to call a mold inspector to perform air test.