Have you heard of sciatica pain? Ever woke up to the agony of suffering through this pain? The sciatic nerve, which starts from the lower spine, goes from the buttocks to the feet through the legs. It is responsible for providing sensation and strength to leg and foot muscles. A pinch in the nerve, structural issues of pelvis and spine, prolonged sitting and hip, muscle or tendon injuries can trigger sciatica, a pain very hard to bear and causes numbness, tingling, and weakness in the legs.
If you also suffer from this pain and want to get relieved of it by doing some exercise at home itself, just read on and follow the tips listed in the article.
READ MORE :
- 5 Ways to Control High Blood Pressure Naturally
- Considering Alternatives To Modern Medicine
- Gym Genesis – Everything You Need to Know When Opening a Commercial Gym
- Health Care Reform – Why Are People So Worked Up?
- 4 Reasons To Meditate
Reclining pigeon pose
This is a ubiquitous yoga pose and helps in opening the hips. Start with the reclining pose and advance as you go further.
- Lie down on your back and take your right leg to a 90degree angle. Lock your fingers by taking your hands behind your thighs.
- Now lift your left leg and place the right ankle on the left knee.
- Bu holding this position for a moment presses against the sciatic nerve and helps relax it.
- Repeat this exercise starting with the left leg.
Sitting pigeon pose
Once you are through and comfortable with the reclining pigeon pose, the next comes the sitting pigeon pose, stretching the lower back.
- Stretch your legs straight in front of you and sit.
- Fold your right leg and put your right ankle on your left knee.
- Bend forward, taking your upper body to reach towards your thigh.
- Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat the same story with the other leg.
Forward pigeon pose
After you are done with the reclining and sitting pigeon pose, go for the forward pigeon pose.
- On all your four hands and knees, kneel on the floor.
- Jump and put your right leg forward and bend it, keeping the lower leg horizontally on the ground. The right knee should stay to the right.
- Take back your left leg with toes pointing back.
- Your bodyweight should be shifted from your arms to your legs such that the legs should give the support.
- Sit straight in this position, keeping your hands on either side of your legs.
- Exhale out by keeping your upper body forward such that now the weight is supported by the arms.
- Repeat this full set of exercises now, starting with your left leg.
Knee to the opposite shoulder
This is a simple stretching exercise that helps to get relief from sciatica pain by performing anti-inflammatory and removing the inflammation caused by the sciatic nerve’s pressing.
- Extend your legs and lie on your back.
- Bend the right leg and circle around the knee with your hand clasped.
- Pull your leg towards the left shoulder and hold for 30 seconds. Pull it to only that level that you feel a stretch and not pain.
- Return to the start position.
- Do this for 3-4 repetitions and then start with the other leg.
Sitting spinal stretch
Compression of the vertebrae of the spine also causes sciatica pain, and hence if you can relieve the pressure, this pain can be eliminated. This exercise creates that space, which helps you get relieved from the acute pain.
- Sit on the ground with your legs extended and feet facing upwards.
- Take your right knee and put it crossing the opposite knee with the flat foot.
- Take your left elbow outside towards your right knee and turn your body towards the right.
- Hold on to this position for 30 seconds, do 3-4 repetitions, and then switch to another side to repeat it all over again.
You may also have interested to read aboutin 2018.
Standing hamstring stretch
This exercise aids in easing the pain and loosening the hamstring’s tightness, which is caused by sciatica.
- On an elevated surface below your hip level, place your right foot. You can choose a chair, a step or even a staircase. Foot and leg should be straight.
- Bend your body towards the foot.
- Come back to the original position by bringing down the leg from the elevated surface very carefully and repeat with the other leg.
No need to worry about the pain of sciatica. You can get relieved and not wake up to the pain again by following the simple ways explained above. But do as much you feel comfortable doing as per your flexibility; these might not be as easg as they feel while reading. But yes, do not wait for the next time sciatic paint hurts you; get up, try these tips, get rid of the pain, get going and enjoy!!!!!