The past years have seen a rise in people affected by cancer. It’s one of the leading causes of death. This is mostly attributed to the major shift in lifestyles. Cancer is a group of diseases composing of abnormal cell growth. They attack a body part and spread to other neighboring body parts. It spreads quickly and infects a large area over a very short period of time.
Doctors encourage people to be on the lookout for small abnormalities in the body and report to the nearest health centers. Early signs of cancer include a lump, drastic weight loss, persistent coughing, among others. For someone who wants a full body screening and looking for a cancer centre in singapore, do some research and settle for a center that is well equipped with modern technology. For people already living with cancer, it’s advisable to pay regular visits to their oncologist for check-ups.
Types of cancer
Cancers are named depending on the area they originated from and the type of cell they are composed of:
- Carcinoma – The type of cancer that first attacks cells on the skin or tissues lining with other organs.
- Leukemia- Affects the bone marrow.
- Lymphoma and myeloma cancer affect the immune system making it weak.
- Sarcoma – Affects the connective tissues in the body. These include bones, cartilage, blood vessels, and muscles.
Causes of cancer
The rise in cancer cases is mostly attributed to the great change in modern lifestyles.
- Fad diets– People nowadays prefer consuming processed foods. This exposes them to many risks. A lot of chemicals are used in the processing and packaging of these foods to increase their longevity.
- Smoking– Cancer is mostly caused by smoking. There has been a rising trend of smoking even among young people. The smoke released weakens the liver. Chemicals used in processing tobacco have adverse effects on the body and expose you to cancer.
- Lack of physical activity– Some people like being stuck in the house. Glued on TV screens all day without engaging in physical activity. This increases their body weight and as a result, exposes them to suffer from cancer.
- Exposure to direct sun for long and radiation.
Ways of preventing cancer
- Avoid eating fast foods and consuming more healthy foods. Incorporating a lot of vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Limit the intake of processed foods and eat less red meat.
- Avoid excess alcohol consumption and drink in moderation. Mostly one drink a day.
- Engage in physical activity daily to maintain good body weight.
- Avoid smoking as it contains carcinogens that cause cancer.
- Stay protected against UV radiation rays and avoid spending too much time in direct sunlight.
- Have regular health checkups for screening on any abnormalities in your body.
Cancer treatment is mainly aimed at finding a cure for cancer, although not all cancer types can be cured. Additionally, killing cancer cells present in the body prevents them from reoccurring.
For people living with cancer and looking for a cancer centre in singapore, some of the treatment options include surgery, chemotherapy, and bone marrow transplant.