Right from its inception, this university has been at the forefront in promoting and spreading quality medical education in India.
The Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science, popularly known as RGUHS, is a Public University located in Bangalore. It was established in 1996 by the Government of Karnataka.
The university and the colleges affiliated to it are often regarded as the best medical colleges in the country.
RGUHS has always been eager to introduce new courses and curriculum, to keep pace with the rapid advancements which are happening in medical science.
The university provides a variety of courses in various fields like Homeopathy, Ayurveda, Unani Medicine, Dentistry, Naturopathy and many others.
Gradually the university has become a hub of medical education. Let us take a look at the various courses along with their scope in India:
- Courses offered in Medicine at RGUHS
With the ever-increasing population and huge demand for health care services. Education in the field of medicine deserves attention and should be imparted keeping quality in mind.
RGUHS is known for the quality of education it offers in the field of medicine.
The university offers a variety of postgraduate and undergraduate courses in medicine.
• MBBS degree which is a 4 ½ years course.
• MD and MS courses in the fields like General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Tuberculosis and Respiratory Medicine, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Psychiatry, Radio Diagnosis, and therapy.
• Doctorate in Medicine and M.Ch. courses in fields like Cardiology, Medical Oncology, Cardiovascular and Thoracic surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Urology, Critical care, Pulmonary Medicine, Surgical Oncology, Neurosurgery.
Apart from the courses mentioned above, the university also offers courses in the fields of Plastic Surgery and Neonatology.
Total Seat Intake: At the moment, a total of 41 colleges under RGUHS offer MBBS course, with a total seat intake of 5705 seats.
After doing MBBS from any RGUHS college, you can work as a doctor, junior doctor, physician, junior surgeon, medical professor or a researcher at places like hospitals, laboratories, companies and medical colleges.
An MBBS graduate can expect a monthly salary from INR 20000 to 35000.
However, after completing MBBS, you also become eligible for Post Graduate courses under the field of medicine.
- Courses offered in Ayurveda at RGUHS
Ayurveda is amongst the oldest forms of medicine. Its demand in recent years has risen due to the positive results it has been giving.
Therefore, RGUHS and many institutes affiliated with it, offer excellent curriculum to enhance research and innovation in this field.
• The university offers an undergraduate course named as BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery), which is 5 ½ year course.
• Along with this course, RGUHS also offers a Master’s Degree in Ayurveda, called as MD Ayurveda which is a 3 years course.
Seat Intake: A total of 57 colleges offer total 3325 seats under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka.
After completing a BAMS degree, you can act as a therapist, Pharmacist, Junior Clinical Trial coordinator, Ayurvedic Doctor, Medical representative and Ayurvedic Consultant, Lectures or Researcher.
Jobs for BAMS candidates are available in places like Ayurvedic Clinics, Universities/Colleges, Research laboratories, Dispensaries, Ayurvedic Spas, and Lifesciences Industry.
So, a BAMS degree can earn you a monthly salary of around 20000 to 50000, depending upon caliber and expertise.
- Courses offered in Unani Medicine at RGUHS
Unani medicine, although did not originate from India but is a field of medicine that is highly popular in our country.
Also, Unani medicine has gained a lot of importance in the International Health Care Industry.
Realizing the importance and benefits of this field, RGUHS has taken many initiatives to promote the education and research in this field.
Currently, RGUHS offers both Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses in the field on Unani Medicine.
Seat Intake: Only 4 colleges under RGUHS offer 210 seats for the undergraduate course in Unani Medicine.
After doing graduation in Unani Medicine one can do private practice, act as a lecturer, medical consultant, researcher, medical assistant, public health specialist or a pharmacist.
A graduate in Unani Medicine may earn a monthly salary of around INR 15000, However, with 2-3 years of experience, one can expect to earn 25000-30000.
- Courses offered in Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences at RGUHS
Naturopathy is a unique form of medical treatment as it relies on natural and very basic things for curing patients.
In the recent times, Naturopathy has emerged as a specialized science and a lot of students have been taking interest in it.
It provides undergraduate courses in Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences.
• The undergraduate course provided by the university is known as BNYS (Bachelor in Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences) and is a 5 ½ years course.
• On the other hand, the university also provides a postgraduate course named MD in Naturopathy as well.
Seat Intake: A total of 3 colleges under RGUHS offer 245 seats in undergraduate courses in Naturopathy and Yogic Medicine.
A graduate in Naturopathy can work in Academics, Research, Private Practice, Jobs in companies as Supervisor/administrator/consultant or therapist.
The average salary expected is around INR 20000 to 25000 per month.
However, this salary can easily rise up to 40000 to 50000, with proper skill and talent.
We hope medical science aspirants have realized how RGUHS has been serving the needs of the society by producing quality professionals in all medical fields. The university really promises a bright future of country’s health care system.