People looking for the best tourist destination in Greece can consider visiting Crete Island. It is one of the fascinating islands available in the region for you to explore and enjoy the best of natural beauty. When you visit Crete Island, you should arrange to stay at least one week there. Then, you can get the best possible experience out of your stay.
What can you do during the one-week stay on Crete Island?
Here is a list of activities you can do during your Crete Island stay for one week. You can organize these activities accordingly as per your preferences.
- Loutro is one of the fishing villages you can see on Crete Island. You will also be able to discover a small beach here. The best thing about Loutro is that there are no cars or roads here. You will only be able to access this fishing village through a ferry. This fact has created an isolated surrounding for you to enjoy as well. Therefore, you should be ready not to see any crowded restaurants or massive hotels here. You can enjoy the entire day, relaxing by the beach during the stay.
- If you are an adventure seeker, you are encouraged to participate in the Gorge of the Dead hike. It is also one of the most adventurous hikes you can see in Europe. It will take about 90 hours to get to the top of this hike. The views you can witness when you reach the top are outstanding. You will be able to catch Crete Island from a different viewpoint.
- If you are traveling to Crete Island with your kids, you must be looking for an effective method to keep them busy. That’s where a water park will be able to assist you. Acqua Plus is the most prominent water park on Crete Island. Most tourists prefer to come here during the first day they spend on the island. If you make a similar decision, you can go ahead with a and come here. Age will not be a factor when you are in this water park. That’s because many water activities are available for guests of all age categories. You will fall in love with all those unique experiences you can get during your stay.
- You can also consider visiting Crete Aquarium while you spend on Crete Island. This is another great attraction in the region for visiting with your loved family members. This is a massive shark tank. The shark tank is inspiring, and you can discover a cool interior. When you spend your time under the hot sun on Crete Island during the summer, you can visit Crate Aquarium and enjoy the chilling atmosphere offered.
- Piketon Cave can also be considered a great experience that you can consider while enjoying your time on Crete Island. According to the folk stories, Zeus was born in this cave. Therefore, it is one of the most prominent historical landmarks that can be found in Greece as well. You will be able to learn a lot about the history of Greece when you explore Diketon Cave.
Where to stay on Crete Island?
- Many accommodation options are available for people to spend their nights. If you are a backpacker, you can also find a few hostels on the island. However, you are encouraged to book them in advance, especially during the summer, as they get occupied quickly. Depending on your budget, you can select a hostel or a hotel on Crete Island. Even though you cannot find any super-luxury hotels on the island, the available hotels will provide you with a decent staying experience.
Food options available for you to consider in Crete Island
- If you are interested in going for a trendy bite while you enjoy fascinating views of the surroundings, you are encouraged to visit Chania’s Venetian Harbor. You can enjoy some of the traditional dishes in Greece when you dine here.
- Gramvousa is one of the most popular options for enjoying your meals while spending time on Crete Island. In this restaurant, you will be able to discover a large number of seasonally inspired dishes. The restaurant is located in one of the villages named Kalliviani. One of the most impressive features of these dishes is that they contain many local favorites. You will also be served recipes that date back to the 18th Century. The restaurant has preserved those recipes, and most tourists here tend to go ahead with them. The restaurant’s lively atmosphere and charming service make people fall in love with it.
- Escargot is a popular dish among people who visit Crete Island. France is the home to this dish, but you will discover that many restaurants serve it. However, this dish is unavailable throughout the year, and you can call the restaurants to see when it is available.
Now you clearly understand how to spend your week on Crete Island. You can create the travel itinerary order according to your preferences and get an unforgettable experience on this fascinating island.