Generators are standalone appliances that are meant to provide electricity in case of power outage from a local grid. Their core role is to provide backup power supply to commercial establishments and residential places like homes. Sometimes, they are used as a primary source of power in remote areas that have no local grid. There are a variety of these generators on krugerpower.
Generators vary in designs and types depending on their specific purpose. Some are purposely made for household usage while others are specially for industrial purposes. Every generator has its unique features and characteristics that distinguish it from others. Here are some generator types, their advantages, and disadvantages.
- Standby Generators
Standby generators are commonly known as emergency power systems or backup generators. Mainly, they work by switching on automatically immediately grid power fails. They are very crucial in residential apartments, hospitals, and restaurants. Also, they greatly enhance safety in fire protection systems, incubators, and life support systems in hospitals and also in lifts and elevators.
They use gas or diesel to run and usually require large external reservoirs that are capable of keeping them operational for at least 48 hours before another refill. Their commercial engine is vast. It also has an automatic transfer switch, which swings to action in case of a power blackout. They detect power loss within seconds and respond immediately to ensure continuous power supply.
- They offer prompt emergency power in case of a power outage.
- In case of emergencies, a standby generator ensures that your calm is maintained since everything operates as usual.
- Enhances continuous productivity in a firm even when power fails.
- They are permanently installed and therefore, you don’t need to set up anything in case of an emergency
- They take a longer time to install compared to other types
- They are more expensive to buy and also to install
- Since they are permanently installed, you cannot move them from place to place.
- They require annual maintenance, which is a plus to your budget.
- Portable Generators
Portable generators are readily available just like other items you can find in online stores. They are beneficial in providing temporary electrical power. They have varying power configurations based on different uses. They can be used in case of natural disasters that cause power outages and also for remote applications like powering a TV or refrigerator.
- The essential advantage of this generator is that it is very fuel-efficient. Its engine is designed in such a way that it consumes a little amount of fuel at a time.
- Apart from fuel, portable generators can also use gas.
- It cannot be used inside a premise
- Since it is operated outdoors, it needs utmost protection from harsh weather conditions
- Diesel Generators
A diesel generator is popularly known as a diesel Genset. It can convert the energy contained in diesel fuel into electricity when the diesel engine and electric generator combine efforts. It is applicable in households and also industrial plants. Its internal combustion engines, when powered by diesel, ignite both the fuel and air.
1. Diesel-fueled generators burn in a more relaxed manner, thus increasing their life and durability. The durability can be enhanced by regular servicing and proper maintenance.
2. Low operational costs since diesel fuel are much cheaper and easily accessible compared to other generator fuels.
3. Low maintenance costs for diesel generators, unlike different types like gasoline.
4. Ability to supply high voltages of power, between 15Kw and 200kw even when working for long hours.
1. Diesel generators are notorious for emitting very high volumes of harmful smoke during use.
2. Noise pollution: Diesel-powered generators are louder compared to natural gas and gasoline generators.
- Natural Gas Generators
Natural gas is one of the most reliable and efficient fuels on the globe. It works just like other types of generators. It uses either propane or liquefied petroleum gas to give out energy. The reason why natural gas is the most efficient is that it can be stored in tanks, underground, or on surface tanks. As such, the generators become incredibly durable.
Also, since gas is naturally available, you will undoubtedly have an unlimited supply of it if you use these generators. It is challenging for these generators to run out of fuel. The most important thing is for them to be connected to the gas line.
- Natural gas is very clean when burnt, and therefore, it is very safe for household use. The cleanliness also prolongs engine life.
- These generators run silently, and therefore they have no noise pollution.
- They don’t require refueling since their source is unlimited
- Higher installation costs due to plumbing costs involved as they get connected to running gas lines.
- Unavailability of the fuel during natural disasters
- Propane-fueled generators have a shorter life span compared to diesel generators
- If gas lines break or leak, they can be very dangerous
- Gasoline Generators
Gasoline generators are also referred to as gas generators. In places where gasoline is readily available, people prefer to use these generators. Also, gasoline generators are cheaper compared to other types, and this makes many people go after them. These generators are more suitable if you require less power supply. For home installation, a standby gasoline generator is more recommendable for efficient output.
- Gasoline generators are highly portable since they are available in small sizes. This feature is what makes them distinctive among all other types of generators. As such, they are the perfect fit for campsites.
- They are competitively cheap, thus making them more preferable by many firms and also households.
- Gasoline generators are very noisy and can be annoying
- Due to their portability nature, they require regular maintenance to enhance their durability.
- During cold weather, starting a gasoline generator is much tricky.
In conclusion, having a generator should not be optional for organizations and even individuals. They are incredible power backups that will ensure continuity of your operations generally in case of a power outage. Contact krugerpower today for your most suitable generator set.